Final Evaluation: Preventing Violence through Creating Safer Schools (Guyana)
Authors/editor(s): Quincy Jones, Anisah Yearwood, Ericka Kirton and Delana Duff -HESC
Authors/editor(s): Quincy Jones, Anisah Yearwood, Ericka Kirton and Delana Duff - HESC.
Grantee: Help & Shelter
Grant period: January 2016 – January 2019
Grant amount: $99,950
Publication year: 2019
The project “Preventing Violence through Creating Safer Schools”, run by Help & Shelter, strengthened consensus, engagement and competencies for addressing and preventing gender-based violence in three schools in Guyana. The project sought to:
- engage adolescent girls and boys to improve attitudes, practices and behaviors towards gender equality and ending violence against women;
- strengthen the capacity of education professionals and community service providers in preventing and responding to sexual and gender-based violence;
- develop and disseminate information and materials on gender-based violence; and
- run capacity building initiatives for students, education professionals and service providers.
Main findings of the evaluation:
- After the project, school-aged girls in the target schools said they felt safer from violence and more confident.
- Secondary school students in the target schools demonstrated a solid understanding of gender-based violence and greater knowledge of relevant laws relating to gender-based violence, domestic violence and children’s rights.
- Focus group discussions with 144 students in the target schools revealed that the students were better able to identify sexual and gender-based violence and to protect themselves from it.
- Education professionals and community service providers in the target schools increased their capacity to prevent and adequately respond to sexual and gender-based violence.
View online/downloadFINAL_20191008_Guyana_Help and Shelter_Final Evaluation Report_compressed
Subject area(s): Ending violence against women and girls; Rape/sexual assault; Sexual harassment; Gender equality and women’s empowerment; Monitoring and evaluation; Trust funds; UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women; Youth; Adolescents; Girls
Resource type: Evaluation reports
Publication year: 2019
Publishing entities: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)