Final Evaluation: Advancing Gender Justice in Countries under International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation (Democratic Republic of Congo, Libya, Sudan, Uganda)
Authors/Editors: Elca STIGTER Angélique VERWEIJ
Location: DRC, Uganda, Sudan, Libya
Grantee: Women’s Initiative for Gender Justice
Grant Period: 1 January 2013 – 31 December 2015
Grant Amount: $730,000
Publication year: 2016
Women’s Initiative for Gender Justice implemented “Advancing Gender Justice in Countries under ICC investigation” for three years. The project aimed to:
- Increase access to justice, medical support and post-conflict reconstruction programmes;
- Enhance capacity and leadership amongst local women’s rights partners; and
- Increase opportunities to be influential participants in post-conflict recovery and transitional justice mechanisms.
Main findings of the evaluation:
- War-affected women and girls in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Libya, Sudan and Uganda, including survivors of gender-based crimes, benefited to some degree from improved access to justice, medical support and post-conflict reconstruction programmes.
- The project contributed to the 2015 revision of Article 149 of the Sudanese Criminal Code, to provide a definition of rape that meets international standards, including by differentiating between rape and adultery. Article 151 was also amended to criminalize sexual harassment.
- Training and support to improve documentation among Women’s Initiative for Gender Justice’s implementing partners in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Libya improved capacity development leadership skills.
- Law enforcement training resulted in successful prosecutions and convictions.
Geographic coverage: Africa Congo, Democratic Republic of the Sudan Uganda Libya
Subject areas: Access to justice post-conflict Adolescents Civil society Conflict, war Constitutions and legal reform Education Ending violence against women and girls Gender equality and inequality Gender equality and women’s empowerment Human rights Leadership and political participation Monitoring and evaluation National mechanisms Partnerships Peace and security Post-conflict recovery Rape/sexual assault Service delivery Sexual violence in conflict Training Trust funds UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women Women’s movements Youth
Resource type(s): Evaluation reports
Publishing entity/ies: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)