Final Evaluation: Multi-Sectoral Gender-Based Violence Response at the District Level in Nepal
Period: August 2009 to July 2013
Grant amount: $1,009,937
Publication description. The UNCT with Nepal’s Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare (Women and Children Offices) as the implementing agency, sought to increase the use of GBV prevention and protection services at the community level; set up a sustainable, community-based, multi-sectoral, GBV response mechanism with local service providers; and build the capacity of these service providers to address competently the needs of GBV survivors through this project.
Main findings of the evaluation:
- The project established resource information points, community psychosocial workers and paralegal committees at the village development committee level, making it easier for survivors to seek GBV-related services locally and immediately;
- spread awareness among survivors and service providers;
- helped create a forum for service providers, civil society and government officials to discuss and deal with GBV-related problems collectively;
- resulted in a drastic and positive change in the behaviour of service providers, including police and medical personnel, that ensured efficient, timely and effective services to survivors; and
- prompted more potential beneficiaries to access services.