Final Evaluation: Our Girls, Our Future: Building Synergy to End Violence Against Girls” (Zambia)
Grantee: Equality Now with The Tisunge Ana Athu Akazi Coalition, as implementing partner
Period: January 2010 to December 2012
Grant amount: $999,999
Publication description. of The goal was to create zero tolerance of sexual violence against girls by supporting, coordinating the efforts of, and building the capacity of a coalition of local NGOs working on issues relating to violence against girls in Zambia. The project also aimed to encourage and support efforts of the Zambian Government in this regard, while ensuring that all interventions were girl-centred. The main strategies employed were: coalition building and partnerships; capacity development; empowerment of girls; working with men and boys to end violence against girls; and public outreach and awareness-raising.
- Main findings of the evaluation: more public awareness of the issue of violence against adolescent girls;
- increased knowledge among adolescent girls of their rights and recourse mechanisms, and of the availability and location of services;
- helping to create an enabling environment of response to violence against adolescent girls;
- promoting a culture in which boys and men challenged violence against adolescent girls; and
- a broader community engagement and involvement in promoting and protecting the right of adolescent girls to be free from any form of violence.